pam_time and pam_access parameters ?

I can't find any documentation on pam_time and pam_access parameters.

Problem: I'm using RedHat 7.0 on a freshly installed system.  I configured
the system_auth file to use pam_time and pam_access.  Everything works
fine except ftp and samba fail when pam_time and pam_access are used in
the system-auth file.  When I comment the two out it works fine. Here is
the log message:

pam_access[2406]: couldn't get the tty name
pam_time[2406]: couldn't get the tty name
proftpd[2406]: anon.nodomain.com (anon.nodomain.com[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) -
PAM(user): Critical error -immediate abort.

So, what I'd like to know is: if the application doesn't use a tty or
supply one to pam_time and pam_access, is there a parameter to tell it to
assume some remote tty type ?
Anyone have another suggestion besides making a different pamfile for the
two services ?

Running on Linux 2.4
Michael A. Dietz
mad099@dietznet.net