Re: telnet vs. sshd pam.d files

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 03:57:37PM -0400, Paul Nicholas Faure wrote:
> > > telnet just spawns /bin/login so it uses /etc/pam.d/login
> > >
> > > ssh is just broken in regards to handling expiration correctly
> > > (OpenSSH 1.2.3 will just deny access when a password is expired, when
> > > it should force the user to change it)
> > >
> > > annoying.  (i don't know how to fix it unforunatly)
> >
> > I have openssh-2.1.1p4-1, and it allows access if the pssword expired, but
> > give a nice little warning "Your password has expired, please change it.".
>
> hmm that must be fixed in openssh 2 (notice above i mention openssh
> 1.2.3)

Just upgraded to the latest and greatest (openssh-2.2.0p1-2), and the
error is still there...

> > Does regular SSH have this same problem ?
>
> you mean ssh-nonfree?  i have no idea i have not used that since
> openssh came along.

Yea, ssh-nonfree. I could use it, because it is now free to Universities.

> does openssh2 force the user to change the password or just nag them?
> it really needs to force the issue like login does to be effective.

OpenSSH2 nags the users. No force.

--
Paul Faure					paul@paulfaure.com
Carleton University Systems Engineer 3rd Year	paul@porkchop.org