RE: Telnet and PAM

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Kelli Wolfe wrote:

> I've got some more information/weirdness on my Telnet problem.

> If I sit at the console, I can login with an LDAP only account
> that has a clear text password.  I cannot login with an LDAP
> account that has an encrypted password.  I also cannot login
> with an account that is in both the LDAP and the passwd files.
> I cannot telnet with any of the above accounts.  I can ssh with
> all of the accounts.

How do you have the PAM modules stacked in your /etc/pam.d/login file?
Since you're using nss_ldap, if you use pam_unix it will find a password
entry for all of your users -- but it will fail to authenticate users that are
in LDAP, since AFAIK nss_ldap won't return the password field.

> It seems like I'm having a couple of problems with 'login'.
> I am running RedHat 6.2, so from what I understand, telnet is
> actually running login.  Login doesn't seem to be recognizing
> the {crypt} attribute on the password.  And something is
> causing remote telnet logins to immediately log back out.
> Before I started adding LDAP to the authentication, telnet
> worked just fine.

Login should have no knowledge of the {crypt} attribute: this should all be
handled inside pam_ldap.  If pam_ldap handles this correctly for ssh, I don't
understand why it wouldn't handle it correctly for login.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer