nss_ldap and pam_ldap

Hello,

If anyone has a good explanation of the relationship
between nss_ldap and pam_ldap, I'd love to see it.
I'm having a hard time understanding how the two
interoperate.

I've discovered that nss_ldap takes the LDAP posixaccount
information and somehow(?) setups up the users environment
after authentication.  My biggest question, at the moment,
is how do I tell nss_ldap that the user is valid on the
particular system?  I read somewhere that an "account"
entry would do this trick, but I've had no luck.

One last (dumb) question:  how can I search this archive?
I just signed up and I see lots of good stuff, but I
don't have the time to read through every listing.
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/private/pam-list/

Thanks for any information you can share,
Kelli