Re: PAM> passwd: User not known to the underlying authenticationmodule

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Matthew Copeland wrote:

> "Michael A. Dietz" wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Matthew Copeland wrote:
> >
> > >   I am working with a pared down redhat installation, and I am
> > > attempting to get PAM working again, but I can't seem to find what I am
> > > missing.  I currently have /etc/pam.d/ configured with the following.
[snip]

> > > /etc/pam.d/other
> > > auth  required        pam_unix_auth.so
> > > account       required        pam_unix_acct.so
> > > password required     pam_unix_passwd.so
> > > session       required        pam_unix_session.so
> > For security reasons your pam.d/other should look like:
> > #%PAM-1.0
> > auth     required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
> > account  required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
> > password required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
> > session  required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
[snip]
> > Copy the files from /etc/pam.d/login sshd ftp or whatever services you use
> > over to the new box.  (or reinstall the rpm).  Verify your passwd and
> > shadow files exist and are not corrupt.
>
> Actually, this is exactly what I did.  All the files orginally come from
> a stock /etc/pam.d/ redhat 6.2 install.  I used the other file
> /etc/pam.d/other for the other file when I was trying to get it working
> early on without any luck ever getting it working that way.  I changed
> it so that I could at least see if I could get it working without that,
> which it will.  I went ahead and changed the other file to what you had
> just to make sure, but unfortunatly, that doesn't fix the problem.  Any
> other ideas?
It doesn't appear your /etc/pam.d/other file is even authenticating using
the shadow password functions i.e:

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

also, most modules support the debug option, try using this and checking
for errors:
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow debug
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so debug

Lastly, pam_unix_auth.so, pam_unix_auth.so, pam_unix_passwd.so, and
pam_unix_session.so are now one module: pam_unix.so .