Re: PAM and Kerberos

A /bin/login that does not prompt for basic authentication is called
/bin/su.

Part of the problem is that telnetd does some kinds of authentication,
but not basic. That's historical: at first there was only
basic-over-cleartext authentication and it wasn't part of the protocol
standard; when more sophisticated authentication support had to be added
it had to be done at the telnet protocol, where it didn't use to be.

So, ok, have telnetd exec /bin/su when authentication is successfully
done by telnetd and have it call /bin/login (or a BBS, or whatever) when
telnetd does no authentication.

/bin/login and /bin/su should provide options or environment variables
such that telnetd and other callers can pass various bits of useful
information to login/su, such as wether the tty is secure, what kind of
authentication was performed and so on.

Then /bin/login and /bin/su can handle authorization as well as
environmental issues. /bin/login would also perform basic
authentication, as it does now.

PAM (and PAM_KRB5) would only be called by /bin/login and /bin/su.
/bin/login would call pam_authenticate() and /bin/su wouldn't. Both
would call PAM's account/session management functions and PAM_KRB5's
session management would handle renaming/chowning of the user's
credentials file as well as setting KRB5_CCNAME.

If there were to be a pam_authorize() call, again, only /bin/login and
/bin/su would call it; telnetd would just not use PAM.

Nico