sufficient account management checking for locally defined users

--b5gNqxB1S1yM7hjW

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 09:39:43AM +1000, Martin Schwenke wrote:
>     Martin> The reason I want to do this is that I don't want pam_ldap
>     Martin> to be used at all when my locally defined users are
>     Martin> logging in.  I see this as a sensible policy that promotes
>     Martin> reliabily.  For example, I will always be able to login as
>     Martin> root, without delay, even if my network is down, pam_ldap
>     Martin> is broken or, worse still, if there's a bug in libdap*
>     Martin> that causes a SIGSEGV.  I don't want to run code that is
>     Martin> irrelevant to my locally defined users, particularly root.

> I suspect that no matter what the timeouts are set to, a serious bug
> in libldap* will mean that they won't be honoured at all...  :-(

> Hmmm, I suppose login probably crashes very quickly...  :-)

> In a previous reply to Sam I commented that we're getting close to a
> solution.  Given pam_unix's reliance on NSS (and therefore, in my
> case, on LDAP) for (building the group list for) locally defined
> users, I no longer think this is true.  pam_unix is too general to be
> useful for being able to reliably login as my locally defined users,
> particularly root.

> If I implement a local_only option on pam_unix might it be accepted
> into pam_unix?  Please?  Andrew?

If an NSS module your system depends on is so badly messed up that you
can't reliably call getpwnam() and getgroups() for a local account, you
will have significant difficulties logging in *regardless* of what PAM
module you're using:  a local_only option for pam_unix would only add
unnecessary complexity to the module.

FWIW, I've never had trouble logging in as root on LDAP-aware systems
when the network (or LDAP server) is down.  This is using 'passwd: files ld=
ap'
in nsswitch.conf.  It may be that this would not work very well if there
were a segfault-inducing bug in a library that nss_ldap depends on, but
bugs in any code loaded by libc are /always/ serious problems.  Adding
options to PAM modules won't change that.

If what you're really after is making sure pam_unix is not used for
authenticating LDAP-based accounts when the server /is/ available, then
between nss_ldap and the LDAP server you already have all the access
controls you need to make sure password hashes are never sent in the
clear across the network.=20

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

--b5gNqxB1S1yM7hjW