PAM, RADIUS and Kerberos?

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 12:30:14PM -0700, Naomaru Itoi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I do not know too much about RADIUS, so please excuse me if the question is
> stupid.

Me too.

> Anyway, I am wondering if you can do single sign-on between RADIUS and
> Kerberos, using a token.
> I think it should work something like this ...
>
> - A user logs in through pam_radius_auth, using token based
> challenge-response
> - pam_radius_auth somehow knows a user name and a password for Kerberos
> (maybe it gets them from RADIUS server?)

Assuming ^^^ is possible then the below is possible too.

> - pam_radius_auth passes the user name and password to the next module
> (pam_krb5)

Essentially, after fetching the user's real username/password
pam_radius_auth would pam_set_item(PAM_USER) and
pam_set_item(PAM_AUTHTOK) whence pam_krb5 would get the user/password.

NOTE: PAM has no concept of realms, partly because the *nix UID/GID
namespaces are flat, so you can only use PAM_KRB5 to get initial creds
for users in one realm.

> - pam_krb5 does Kerberos authentication
>
> Has anybody tried/done this?

Not I, but nowadays PAM app developers have become used to the
possibility that PAM may change PAM_USER during pam_authenticate(), so
I'd expect this to work, modulo Radius.

Cheers,

Nico
--
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-