From: pam-list-admin@redhat.com [mailto:pam-list-admin@redhat.com]On
Behalf Of Earle F. Ake
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 12:17 PM
To: PAM List
Subject: Need to convert back from md5 encryption in password file

	I have multiple sites using a shared password file.  Some can not use the
md5 encryption.  I want to eliminate the md5 encryption and use the old
RedHat standard hash encryption.  I was able to drop the shadow portion by
using pwunconv then editing the /etc/pam.d/system-auth file entry for
"password sufficient" and drop the "shadow" portion.

	I tried to also drop the "md5" portion on the same line and then use passwd
program to change it back to just a hashed password.  The passwd file entry
is changed but when I try to login, it fails.  The /var/log/messages and
/var/log/secure logs give me:

/var/log/messages:
sshd(pam_unix): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser=
rhost=localhost.localdomain  user=root

/var/log/secure:
sshd[1496]: Failed password for ROOT from 127.0.0.1 port 1035 ssh2

If I change back to md5 then reset the password, all is well.  Can I change
to not use the md5 encryption and if so, what are the steps I need to take?

-Earle
--
Earle Ake
Manager, Internet Services