pam_unix and syslog

Hi,

I'm writing multithreaded application using pthreads and use pam_unix
for user authentication. Each user is authenticated from its own thread.

Using syslog (3) in between pam_start() -> pam_authenticate() -> pam_end()
crashes application with SIGFAULT somewhere inside _log_err() function.
Thus I've removed syslog() calls from there. But anyway in case of
unsuccessful user authentication module logs this to syslog and then
application stops it's own logging.

I'm not sure that calling openlog() from every thread after pam_end() is
also good idea. Sometime in the past there was a discussion in the
mailing list regarding this issue (using syslog context ?)
but I can't find out an outcome :(

My system is linux 2.4.18 with Linux-PAM-0.76

Regards,
    Sergey