redhat 7.2 & solaris nis more than 8 char passwd

Hello,

In our environment we have solaris nis server with
sun/solaris, intel/linux as workstations ( client of nis)

Some nis users have passwd more than 8 characters .
Now the problem is that till redhat 7.1 we could use
those long passwds to login in linux systems as any nis user.
But redhat 7.2 onwards ,if I type my 10 char nis passwd
in linux workstaion while logging in,
system complains of incorrect passwd , but if I type
first 8 characters, it logs in .
(Solaris boxes/redhat 6.2/7.1 boxes don't have any problem in authentication)
For local users in the linux systems, it takes 10
character passwords.

Can you suggest any idea ? My aim is to type in all 10
character nis passwd and should get authenticated in
the linux box.

Thanks in advance,

Bibhas