OpenLDAP --enable-spasswd, SASL, PAM - not threadsafe?

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:50:01PM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:

> Then, in /etc/pam.d/ldap:

> #%PAM-1.0
> auth        required      /lib/security/pam_krb5.so no_user_check
> session     required      /lib/security/pam_permit.so

> This works - password checks are successfully passed off against our
> Kerberos realm.

> However, it appears to fail under load, possibly due to threading issues
> (a "ps faux" and "gdb /usr/local/libexec/slapd; attach PID; thread apply
> all bt" are attached)

> Thread 7 (line 219 of attached file) appears to be blocked inside the
> SASL library, loading the PAM library. I see three possibilities:

> 1) SASL isn't thread-safe, and OpenLDAP should be appropriately
> protecting this bit of code, and isn't
> 2) PAM isn't thread-safe, and SASL should be locking
> 3) The pam_krb5 (or kerberos) libraries aren't thread safe

When in doubt, choose 'c'.  The MIT Kerberos libraries are known to not
be thread safe, therefore pam_krb5 implementations should provide locks
around the Kerberos calls.  I'm guessing there aren't many (if any)
pam_krb5 implementations doing this, though.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg--