pam_passwdqc, ssh and expired passwords

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 03:55:07PM +1000, John Warburton wrote:
> > > Hmm - good work Sun.
> > >
> > > Looks like I will have to go back to cracklib for want of anything
> else.
> > > sigh.
>
> > Why does that help?  Are you able to get cracklib to verify passwords
> > changed through sshd or telnetd?  How, if the password management PAM
> > stack is broken in that respect?
> Ah, sorry - I forgot to mention this. We have a brilliant C coder who
> hacked an *old* version of Linux pam_cracklib to work around both Solaris 8
> PAM stacking and SSH issues. Unfortunately this is not feasible to maintain
> in the long term, and why I was hoping to use passwdqc.

Well, if you share this pam_cracklib hack with me, I will very likely
be able to hack pam_passwdqc for you accordingly.

> > Is Solaris 9 not an option for you?
> Unfortunately not - our vendors are yet to verify their apps with Solaris 9
> at the moment.
>
> Did Gary Winiger from Sun mention whether the fixes applied to Solaris 9
> are to be back ported to previous releases?

No, he didn't.  But you may ask.

> Just as an aside - the PAM code in OpenSSH 3.4 has seriously stopped
> password expiration working at all on Solaris 8.

Not just on Solaris 8.  This code is simply #if 0'ed out, on all
platforms, and there're certain reasons (including security) why this
is so.  I am trying to solve that for at least the non-privsep case,
for the Owl package and hopefully for the rest of the world as well. ;-)

And it's not password expiration but rather the ability to change
expired passwords which is now disabled.  Password expiration works.

--
/sd