password history and enforcement of PAM rules for root

I am experimenting with Red Hat 7.3. I have configured
PAM to maintain password history and enforce the use
of strong passwords. It seems to work well... if a
user changes his/her password, the old password is
written to /etc/security/opasswd and he/she is forced
to use a stronger password than I'm sure causes them
to curse me in silence. However, if root changes
another user's password, the user's old password is
NOT written to /etc/security/opasswd. Also, when root
changes another user's password, weak passwords can be
specified.

How can I configure PAM to force root to write user
passwords (and even its own old passwords) to
/etc/security/opasswd? How can I configure PAM to
force root to honor using strong passwords when
setting a user's password, or even its own password?

Thank you.