mod_auth_pam configuration using supplementary groups

I have been playing with trying to get mod_auth_pam to work on my apache
1.3 install. The pam setup is standard for Redhat 7.3; that is:

[]# cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
#%PAM-1.0
auth     required   /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth     sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth     required   /lib/security/pam_deny.so
account  required   /lib/security/pam_unix.so
password required   /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password sufficient /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
password required   /lib/security/pam_deny.so
session  required   /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session  required   /lib/security/pam_unix.so

[]# cat /etc/pam.d/httpd
#%PAM-1.0
auth    required        /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account required        /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

The section in my apache config that I am using to test is:

<Location /protected/>
  AllowOverride None

  <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
    AuthName "Dav"
    AuthType Basic
    require group www
  </Limit>
</Location>

I am having a problem though in that when the required group is a users
primary group then authentication succeeds, but when it is a supplementary
group it doesn't.

The authentication itself isn't failing because I put the debug option on
the pam_unix for auth and it only complains when I put in a bad password
either way. I read in the changelog that there was a patch to support
supplemental groups, but I can't find a call to getgroups in the auth
function. (I haven't written C in about 4 years, so I am a little rusty.) =)

I was wondering if anyone here knew the status of this? I am wanting to
get this worked out because mod_dav requires all files to be writable by
the webserver process and having pam will help with getting at least a
modicum of security in place.

Will Holcomb