[p2patent-developer] Prior art searching repository

As a follow-on to an existing NSF grant that I am working on with folks
from IBM-Almaden, I am working on a new NSF proposal that will test the
hypothesis of whether distributed prior art searching is superior to a
single expert searcher, and to do that will require the development of a
prior art searching repository.

While there appear to be good exemplars of post and comment systems in the
online p2p community, I'm unaware of any of them that specifically support
the process of collaborative search.

Specifically, most would allow for the posting of an item identified
during the process of a search, but do they allow for posting of
information about how that search was conducted, or how it could be
replicated?

Thus, if someone finds one item and posts it (Use Case 7), but does not
post another item that was found with the same search, if that second item
was relevant, then another searcher would have to start a search process
from scratch and hopefully find that second item.  As I understand it,
this situation differs from Use Case 13 in that the search would need to
extend beyond the CPR website to identify the second item of prior art
that was not submitted to the database.

If the system is structured to facilitate knowledge transfer about the
search as well as the results, then it may be possible to avoid some
duplication of effort among the search community.

I would be most interested in seeing how our efforts at Michigan can be
dovetailed with the existing efforts to develop the peer-to-patent system.

Thanks,

Dr. Gavin Clarkson
Assistant Professor
University of Michigan