[p2patent-developer] Questions about Use Case 2 Setup new patent application

A good place to start the Peer to Patent system architecture discussion is with use case number two. Some of the other use cases are very complicated and we should work out how documents are stored early on before we tackle other issues like prior art.

  We need to determine how to store patent applications and associated metadata (such as comments, ratings, and prior art) in our system, so that we can engage in community activities. Use case 2 (UC2) describes our current assumptions about how patent applications should be setup in the system.

  Please review the background page link below before responding to the questions.

  http://tools.dotank.nyls.edu/wiki/index.php/Peer_2_Patent/developer/use_cases_discussion/uc2_setup

  or try
  http://tinyurl.com/y4opcu

  This is a request for your feedback on the following questions for related to Use Case #2:

  Questions:

  (1)  Can we avoid storing the document as XML in a datastore and instead work exclusively with the USPTO patent application identifier?  One could argue that all we really need to store is metadata along with the user identity and the patent application identifier.  Is XML necessary? Is it overkill?

  (2)  Are there any standard XML formats that we can take advantage of that will support all these requirements? The NLM DTD has been mentioned as a possibility. What formats should be considered?

  (3)  Is there any existing open source content management system that is well suited for the listed requirements?  This option might be acceptable if we could do some customization.  There are plenty of CMS tools that are not suitable; which solutions might actually work?

  (4)  Are there other standards that should investigated related to the data format for the storage of the patent application or metadata?

  Responses should go to the mailing list. Please feel free to put architectural proposals or suggestions and background information directly into the Wiki page. (Please change section D only!).

  Thanks!

  Eric Hestenes
  Technical Lead
  eric.hestenes at communitypatent.org