Re: URI name constraint fails when URI contains a userinfo component

On Fri, Aug 23, 2024 at 02:11:42PM +0200, 'Jacob Persson' via openssl-users wrote:

> > that assigns any meaning to the username part of a URI in X.509
> > certificates.  Best I can tell, if present, it should ignored!
> >
> >     https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9525#section-7.2
>
> The username identifies a wire user within a domain but the meaning
> and validation
> of that is happening inside our client application.

A more appropriate application-specific SAN might have been an
"otherName" variant under some suitable OID arc, where you control
the semantics of the SAN (but would also then need (and be free) to
implement both the validation and any name constraint checks).

> > and no associated reference to a specification of how "wireapp" clients
> > are expected to employ URI-IDs in certificates. :-(
>
> True, we haven't registered the scheme yet.

If this is at all likely to be relevant to a broader community, or just
to avoid conflicts, it might make sense to register the scheme.

> I understand that 1.1.1 (EOL) is unlikely to change but we have also observed
> the same behaviour in the more recent versions like 3.3.1.

As expected.

> But if I understood correctly the fact that the userinfo component is
> not ignored could be considered a bug in openssl, should I open a
> Github Issue for that?

By all means.  This will not guarantee prompt remediation, the issue is
rather a corner case, but if you're also able to contribute a robust fix
(parse the URI authority to strip the username and port), then it might get
adopted.

Note that not all schemes encode an authority, (e.g.
mailto:user@domain), so your code would apply only
to URIs of the form:

    scheme://user@host[:port][/path...]

You should also check whether other aspects of matching URI "reference"
identifiers with "presented" URI SANs in the certificate matches RFCs
5280 and 6125.

--
    Viktor.