Re: Questions / SSL_accept errors (soliciting client certificates)

Good catch.  You are right, I didn't have fullchain configured.  Now I have my cert from LetsEncrypt in SSL_CTX_use_certificate_file along with it's key in SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file.  I tried using the fullchain from LetsEncrypt in SSL_CTX_use_certificate_chain_file and it didn't work.  I had to find the LetsEncrypt roots for X3 and R3 and add them into the fullchain.  Now I get totally different errors in the server logs.

The first connection SSL_accept returns:
Apr 18 23:32:43 <3.7> RIB wncert[21349]: SSL Error: Accept failed - 0020C142E9550000:error:0A0000C7:SSL routines:tls_process_client_certificate:peer did not return a certificate:/usr/src/crypto/openssl/ssl/statem/statem_srvr.c:3511:
Apr 18 23:32:43 <3.7> RIB wncert[21349]: logerr  msg=Client did not return a certificate.  msg2=(null)

The second returns a valid certificate, but never sends any data.  It eventually times out and exits.

The third connection returns the proper certificate and the appropriate data.

If the user makes another request, only one connection is established and it works properly.  At this point, I believe, the server issues have been corrected and I am dealing with client issues which I have no control over.  Thanks for all your help.  I can't imagine just how much time you have put into understanding OpenSSL.  The original server code was written back in 98 or so for SSLeay.  It had to be brought up to date as the old code used "features" that were eliminated.

-- Doug