RE: Validating Client Certificates

Sure, it *might* be. It depends on your threat model.

> If the server is remote from the client and uses passwords, an attacker can try to login by
> guessing usernames and passwords.

Most of my customers are running on private networks, where even an attacker with network access to the server generally has better attacks available against client credentials and impersonation (e.g. SMB pass-the-hash opportunities via shared-resource confusion, phishing, etc) than credential-forcing or -stuffing against a server, particularly when measures such as throttling and behavioral detection are enabled (to say nothing of MFA). That's one example of a case where a threat model likely doesn't show much improvement overall from using TLS mutual authentication.

Client certificates introduce PKI and usability issues. Sometimes those costs are worth paying.

Passwords are lousy authenticators. So are all the others. In a given use case, some will be less lousy; but none are universally a better choice.

In any case, this is at best only tangentially related to OpenSSL now.

--
Michael Wojcik