RE: Question about Open SSL 1.0.2 series compatibility

Yes the idea is to get our customers off of RHEL7, but we have to get our software working on RHEL8 first.  We will have some overlap where we release SW that runs on either by producing two different sets of binaries.  We’ll have to wait until our customers agree that we can stop building releases for RHEL7.

We do link to the dynamic libraries which I didn’t mention before and  when we setup our execution environment we do update LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I would think that would resolve conflicts as the applications would then find our custom installation of openssl first. We have done something similar on RHEL7 using a slightly older version than what RHEL7 has installed to the system and that worked so I hoped that building v1.0.2u would be possible. I’m trying to find a least common denominator that will work on RHEL7 and RHEL8 until we can move on from RHEL7.

The function PEM_read_X509 seems to be the root my issue.  On RHEL8 it doesn’t populate the out parameter the same way and it results in a downstream seg fault.  I have not been able to find where that function is defined.  I used grep on the openssl code and couldn’t find a function definition to read.  If anyone could help me understand why that is, I would appreciate it.  It doesn’t look like a MACRO but perhaps it is exported from somewhere but I cannot find the function implementation so that I can read the code and figure out how to debug it.  I’ve built openssl with debug symbols, and I cannot step into that function with ‘gnu ddd’ nor can I figure out how to navigate to the function implementation.

Thanks,

Shawn Fox