Von: openssl-users <openssl-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> Im Auftrag von Steffen Nurpmeso
Gesendet: 17 November 2023 19:15
An: openssl-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: fyi: RFC 9525 obsoletes commonName check

RFC 9525 changes the way TLS certification is done:

 *  The server identity can only be expressed in the subjectAltNames
    extension; it is no longer valid to use the commonName RDN, known
    as CN-ID in [VERIFY].

Not such a big surprise as already the book "Network Security with OpenSSL" (O'Reilly, ISBN 0-596-00270-X, June 2002; Thank you!)
states:

  The common practice with X.509v1 certificates was to put the
  FQDN in the certificate's commonName field of the subjectName
  field. This practice is no longer recommended for new
  applications since X.509v3 allows certificate extensions to hold
  the FQDN as well as other identifying information, such as IP
  address. The proper place for the FQDN is in the dNSName field
  of the subjectAltName extension.

Nonetheless commonName is tested (and sometimes even falsely in addition to subjectAltName, as just recently fixed for the MUA i maintain (then removed entirely as a fixup)).

(Slightly adjusted version of an email i sent to another list some days ago.)

--steffen