Re: Entropy Source for Openssl 3.8

Yes FIPS places a lot of restrictions on the entropy source.  The SP 800-90{A,B,C} documents specify what is required.

I'm not sure how it is even possible to validate the x86 RDRAND entropy source.  The unmodified raw entropy has to be tested and this is not accessible that I'm aware of.  Still, I'm sure the labs have figured out some clever wording which lets them get approval.

As for the OpenSSL FIPS provider, we simply don't include any entropy source and abrogate collection to libcrypto (outside of the FIPS boundary).  This is why we have the caveat: When operated in FIPS mode. No assurance of the minimum strength of generated keys on our certificate.

If this worked as it was meant to, you would be able to use a FIPS validated entropy source to feed the FIPS provider.  As I understand, this is permitted under FIPS if the data are transferred via a secure channel between the two FIPS boundaries.

Pauli