Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Calling OpenSSL_thread_stop() multiple times

On 24/08/2023 09:28, Martin Bonner wrote:
Yes, I read all that documentation.  I didn't interpret that as saying:
"It is safe to call this OPENSSL_thread_stop(_ex) from DLLMain in
response to DLL_THREAD_DETACH".

I think I was confused by the wording:
libcrypto32.dll entry point"

Firstly, I thought the word "message" meant a WM_MESSAGE, and secondly,
I didn't realize "libcrypto32.dll entry point" meant "DLLMain".

I think that quoted text would be better written as:
dwReason==DLL_THREAD_DETACH"

This does raise the question: if libcrypto is automatically calling
OPENSSL_thread_stop(), why does Deepak B need to do so (but that is
curiosity, not safety)?

This doesn't happen automatically if you link OpenSSL statically (on Windows). So if you link your *own* dll to OpenSSL statically then you might need to use this approach.

Matt

Finally:
OPENSSL_thread_stop() is used for freeing resources and I wouldn't
generally expect more complex processing to occur in it.

I wouldn't expect complex processing, but if some provider kept a
count of threads using an auxiliary DLL, and did a FreeLibrary in
OPENSSL_thread_stop if that call falls to zero, that would not be
good.

Martin Bonner