DHE key exchange fails with the FIPS provider

I'm having a problem connecting to particular machines via TLSv1.2 with the FIPS provider. The handshake fails with:

1022FDB6:error:0A000066:SSL routines:(unknown function):bad dh value:ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:2085:

and I can't figure out what the problem is. The weird thing is the connection always succeeds with the default provider, but with the FIPS provider it works with some servers (e.g. oracle.com) and fails with other servers (e.g. debian.com). I have been able to reproduce the problem with the openssl command line using options that force the same cipher & key exchange that is negotiated by my application code:

openssl s_client -4 -tls1_2 -sigalgs rsa_pkcs1_sha256 -cipher DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 -trace -connect hostname:443

When using the FIPS provider and connecting to oracle.com this works fine. The exact same command line fails with debian.com. Connections to both machines work fine with the default provider. Both machines use 4K RSA certificates.

What is causing OpenSSL FIPS to fail the DHE key exchange?

Incidentally, setting "security-checks = 0" in the configuration file has no obvious effect on the problem.

Thanks,
Tom.III