Re: How long Legacy providers supported?

The big problem is that the legacy algorithms may be necessary to access
offline backups. Data that may be 10, 15, 25 years old...
Similarly, you may have signatures made as long time ago, but by use of
timestamping (I suggest reading about archival variants of PAdES, CAdES,
or XAdES) it allows us to trust 1024 bit DSA signatures or 768 bit RSA
signatures, because we can be sure they were made in the middle of 1990's.