rfc5280 serialNumber question

Per sec 4.1.2.2

   Given the uniqueness requirements above, serial numbers can be
   expected to contain long integers.  Certificate users MUST be able to
   handle serialNumber values up to 20 octets.  Conforming CAs MUST NOT
   use serialNumber values longer than 20 octets.

At some point some years ago it was pointed out here that serialNumber OID encoding preappends 0x00 if the first bit is a 1.

Does this actually make the serialNumber a byte longer?  Or is this only encoding?  Thus IF that first bit is a 1, obviously the OID value is a byte longer.  But when the serialNumber OID is decoded is this longer value returned or the original value?

I am girding up to debate an implementation where the CP says serialNumber MUST be unique, and their implementation uses a 20-byte SN.  I don't think they take care at all about the value of the 1st byte.  I doubt in their testing to date they have generated a SN in that range.

So how does the SN with the added byte get decoded?

thanks