Re: Openssl 3.0 / Openssl 1.1 at the same time in the same process

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 12:59:23PM +0000, Frank Gross wrote:

> Hi, my company will soon update our product to work with openssl 3.0,
> delivered within the product. It is basically one process that loads
> dynamically that openssl 3.0 lib to manage https communication. But
> the process can also load dynamically (via configuration) database
> client drivers installed on a computer. (Mainly to perform secure
> connection with the database engine). But those database drivers are
> linked with the openssl version of the system. That is mainly openssl
> version 1.1.

See:

    https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/55d3a6be6ba3af9781631e74833ea1dcbd4008e6/Configurations/README.md?plain=1#L129-L149

This allows you to:

    - Not have to resort loading the custom libssl at runtime, you
      can just use a shared library.

    - Avoid conflicts even with a slightly different system libssl
      that has the same major version.

Choose the variant name carefully, something related to your
company or product, not likely to be chosen by another package.

--
    Viktor.