Re: Custom Sign Callback for ECC TLS Handshake

On 16/06/2023 10:19, nocommercials@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hey there,
I currently create a program that does a TLS handshake using ECC certificates. The private key is not accessible to that program so that I could load it into openssl and hence the sign step during handshake has to be offloaded to another component in the system.
For that purpose I do not find a callback or something.

What would be the correct way to achive this?
The way to have the data signed is non-standard, so I cannot use some standard such as PKCS11 or something.
I am glad to get just pointed to where to start with, rest I can figure out.

I don't think there is an easy way to achieve this.

It could be done by writing a custom provider - but it would be quite a bit of work to get it right. There's some provider documentation here:

https://www.openssl.org/docs/man3.1/man7/provider.html

You'd need to implement signature support:

https://www.openssl.org/docs/man3.1/man7/provider-signature.html

and an associated key manager:

https://www.openssl.org/docs/man3.1/man7/provider-keymgmt.html

There's a "toy" provider here: