Re: Cross-signing non-self-signed third party certificate

On 30.05.23 14:26, Jochen Bern wrote:
1. The cert (or, for that matter, CSR) being *self* signed serves as
   proof that the requesting party is in possession of the private key.
2. You want to sign info on the subject you verified, not someone else's
   interpretation of the subject; e.g., a person's cert from a 3rd party
   CA giving the OU as "FooBar E-Mail-Reply Verified Personal
   Certificates" is unlikely to correctly state the dpt. the person
   works in. (Assuming that you would want to copy *anything* beyond the
   pubkey from the preexisting cert into the new one, of course.)

Hi Jochen,

While these points may be relevant in some environments, I don't think of them as enough reason to completely forbid users from cross-signing non-self-signed certificates.
Finally, this should be up to the user.

In our specific use case, it is us wanting to trust part of a third party pki, but restrict this trust by cross-signing with a name constraint. The third party may not be very interested in this ("simply import our ca as is"), but we want to do it, because internal pkis are not held to the same standard as public CAs which are bound by the CA/Browser Forum Baseline requirements.

Best regards
Yannik