Re: OpenSSL project is considering to close this mailing list

On 3/20/2023 12:14, Jonathan Day wrote:
I'm not watching GitHub because, as a user, my questions tend to be targeted towards very specific problems I'm having* and I'm not in a position to answer anyone else's questions. :)

*Legacy code can be... interesting to maintain. A fair chunk of the code I'm working on is circa OpenSSL 1.0, although there are bits and pieces that are from much earlier. But this means that the sorts of questions I'm going to be asking in the near future will be unusual. Not that many people are going to be jumping from 1.0.0 to 3.1.0, and even fewer will be modernising truly ancient code. So looking out for such questions will be a pointless endeavour.

In defence of the response times of this list, I got a response to my question almost immediately. True, one data point does not a statistic make, but I've not noticed any questions going astray in the brief time I've been on the list. Responses seem to be quick and informative. It might be that this is unusual, that I'd need to stay on the list a lot longer to see the real pattern, so I'll rely on the views of others on that, but I am not seeing anything that strongly reeks of list apathy.

Yep.

A few times I've asked questions on the list; as a developer who uses this library on a fairly routine basis I've got code out there that is both pretty current and that which was compiled on platforms and OS versions that are not anywhere near current -- and for various reasons beyond my control never will be.

Will I take such questions to Github in the future if this goes away?  No.  I can (and do) scan the new messages on this list daily as its fast, easy, and in one place and in many cases that has alerted me to something I need to pay attention to.  I'm one of the "mostly-silents" who nonetheless take the information from discussions here and use it, in many cases narrowing security issues or understanding whether a particular problem is of importance to said software or not, and if it is, whether it can be successfully mitigated or not.  I don't have to open a web browser and dig through things; it comes straight to my inbox.  Some may see this as archaic but I see it as beneficial to my workflow, and the potential alternative isn't.

--
Karl Denninger
karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx