Re: OpenSSL project is considering to close this mailing list

On Fri, 2023-03-17 at 07:51 -0700, Job Cacka wrote:

> First, by even mentioning the dissolution of this list you threaten
> the long term viability of this list. It would have been better to
> first look to the members of the list to solve the real problems in
> the list. What are they?

The main problem we see is that there are many places where to go for
OpenSSL related advice and it is unclear which place is the best if you
want to ask some question. So then the question(s) either do not reach
all the potential communities and users that could answer them or the
questions are duplicated at all (or some) of the possible places which
is ugly too.

That problem can be hardly solved by any other ways than by simply
removing some of the places.

Now the question of course is whether that problem is so critical that
fixing it is worth alienating existing users of the place that would be
closed.

Without asking the question we would not even know how many users do
not consider github as acceptable place to go to. So it was necessary
to ask that question.

--
Tomáš Mráz, OpenSSL