Nay

As a potentially depressing, disappointing, malicious, bogus
... comment i want to cry out loud that *if* something is

  present  for  backwards compatibility with OpenSSL prior to
  version 3 and is  different  to the  EVP_CIPHER_fetch()
  function  since  it  does  not  attempt to "fetch" an
  implementation of the  cipher.

and

  is  present  for  backwards compatibility with OpenSSL prior to
  version 3 and is  different  to the EVP_MD_fetch() function
  since it does not attempt to "fetch" an implementation  of  the
  cipher.  Additionally, it only knows about digests that are
  built‐in to OpenSSL and have  an  associated  NID.

then the returned object *should*, in my opinion, have the same
semantics than it had for a quarter of a century (more or less).

And that direct things like EVP_sha256() also are potentially
dead-end "hulls" i find even more terrible, especially given that
they are documented as

  These   functions   return   a   EVP_MD structure  that
  contains  the implementation  of  the  message  digest.

Oh!  On the forest of preprocessor and other conditionals to be
introduced for only OpenSSL >= 3.0.

And good night from Germany, which, uh!, oh!, makes me desperate
in a fashion not seen for decades, or even generations.
Thank you!

Ciao to everyone and everywhere.

(P.S.: no answer expected.)

--steffen