Re: "num" parameter and expected output buffer size in EVP_CipherUpdate

Hi Tomáš,

On 16.12.2022 11:53, Tomas Mraz wrote:
Of course once you feed the data to EncryptUpdate by chunks sized
smaller than block size, there logically has to be some caching
involved as a block cipher must encrypt only full blocks unless there
is some padding involved but that applies only to the last block.

Okay, if I understood you correctly there's no API to ask an already intitialized EVP_CIPHER_CTX object about the cache as this is implementation detail?

(I thought EVP_CIPHER_CTX_get_num would do that but apparently not...)

In case of AEAD modes this is also different as there must be some
additional space in the ciphertext for the tag.

Yes, understood.

Thank you for answers!

Kind regards,
Wiktor