Re: SSL_read empty -> close?

> On Nov 2, 2022, at 16:36, Michael Wojcik via openssl-users <openssl-users@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It sounds, then like shutdown() (i.e., TCP half-close) is a no-no during a TLS session. Does OpenSSL’s documentation mention that? (I’m not exhaustively familiar with it, but I don’t remember having seen such.)

It almost seems like, given that TLS notify-close then TCP close() (i.e., without awaiting the peer’s TLS notify-close) is legitimate, OpenSSL could gainfully tolerate/hide the EPIPE that that close() likely produces, and have SSL_read() et al just return empty-string. I don’t recall having seen it in 1.1 or earlier OpenSSLs. Then again, maybe some application wants to know it shouldn’t send a notify-close.

It surprises me that notify-close then close() is considered legitimate use. WebSocket and SCTP both have similar shutdown workflows, but I think they expect the peers to await each other’s “farewell” message.

-FG