RE: Build openssl on windows 10 using cygwin

Well, the version of OpenSSL you're using, for one thing. And what C implementation; there are various ones which can be used under Cygwin. Cygwin is an environment, not a build toolchain.

I don't know if this is still true, or if it differs for 1.1.1 and 3.0; but historically there have been issues using Cygwin perl to build OpenSSL, because OpenSSL on Windows wants a perl implementation that uses Windows-style file paths. We use Strawberry Perl.

That said, that error appears to be due to an issue with the Windows SDK headers, since it's the Windows SDK which should be typedef'ing LONG. (Because we wouldn't want Microsoft to use actual standard C type names, would we?) So this might be due to not having some macro defined when including the various Windows SDK headers.

--
Michael Wojcik