Problems using openssl inside parallels desktop

Hello list,
I stumbled upon a problem which I think originates in openssl. My initial goal was to build lineageos inside a virtual machine (parallels desktop) running on my 2019 iMac.

I installed debian on an external usb drive, which went pretty smooth. Disk speed is pretty awful, but for my needs it is sufficient.

The iMac is a 2019 i5 with 64gb ram.
When I tried to download lineageos via the repo command
>> repo init -u https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b lineage-19.1
the command failed with an 'git was killed with signal 4' error.

I narrowed it down to git trying to clone from an http**s** source, which I think utilizes openssl. The command
>> git clone 'https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo'
dies with the error message 'git-remote-https died of signal 4‘.

When I try to do the same with wget I receive the error 'Illegal instruction' after wget connects to gerrit.googlesource.com. I am actually at a loss here.

I do have a 16" MacBook Pro (i9, 32gb ram) running debian inside parallels on the internal drive, which has no problem running this command. But when I plugin the external ssd from my iMac, on which the Debian vm is installed and start this vm up, then on this MacBook Pro  the command fails with the above mentioned errors.

And when I copy/paste the vm from my MacBook Pro to my iMac, the command again fails with the above mentioned error.

So for clarification, the combinations of machine / vms that work / don't work are:
iMac 2019:
- native (git clone https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo): Works (!)
- debian on internal drive: -> Doesn't work
- debian on external usb ssd: -> Doesn't work
- debian copied from internal MacBook Pro 2019: -> Doesn't work
MacBook Pro 2019:
- native (git clone https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo): Works (!)
- debian on internal drive: Works
- debian on external usb ssd from the iMac 2019: Doesn't work
- debian on internal drive, copied from iMac 2019: Doesn't work

Does anybody have an idea what I have to do to make this work? I am not entirely sure this is related to openssl, but I’ve seen a couple of bug reports witch openssl and illegal instruction. Although they date back to 2015 or so.