Use SSL in multiple connections

With my actual configuration, an SSL client established more connections with the SSL server. Each process (server or client) creates only one thread for Its sockets,  I observe a strange behavior. Some server sockets remain blocked on the call of SSL_write even if they are in mode non-blocking. Side client some sockets loop indefinitely on the call of SSL_read that return SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ.

Hence my question:

Is It mandatory to create a thread by connection, or can only one thread be used by all the connections?

Best regards;