Private CA client cert file for iPad for a website

Can anyone tell me how to generate an acceptable client cert for an iPad?

I have so far been unable to find out the file format needed.

I generated client cert files for my classmates over seven years ago in p12 format and they still work fine on Linux, Mac, and Windows devices but I want to (1) update all certs to modern standards and (2) add usable certs for iOS and android devices as well as the existing format.

I am currently running OpenSSL 1.1.1g on Debian Buster.

Any help would be appreciated.

Blessings,

-Tom