From: Prashant Sharma31/India/IBM
To: openssl-users@xxxxxxxxxxx, Mei-Mei Fu/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
Subject: OpenSSL in FIPS mode, does FIPS mode provide any extra set of ciphersuites?
Date: Thu, May 28, 2020 10:28 AM

Hi All,

Greetings,

I have a few questions regarding the usage of FIPS mode.

Q. Is it possible to develop a piece of software that runs fine with FIPS mode enabled OpenSSL library and not when FIPS is not enabled? i.e. Does enabling FIPS mode brings an extra set of capabilities?

Q. Or is it true that FIPS is simply a compliance, i.e. when FIPS is enabled - it imposes a restriction on what ciphersuites are available for an application developer to use?

Thanks !

Prashant