Re: How to get all certs into a .der file.

Generally speaking, OpenSSL hasn't exactly encouraged multiple objects
in one DER file.  While it's theoretically possible to have several
objects in such a file file, there is code in OpenSSL where that's
simply not considered.  For example, this snippet in the man-page
'X509_LOOKUP_file' is quite clear:

   Functions X509_load_cert_file and X509_load_crl_file can load both PEM
   and DER formats depending of type value. Because DER format cannot
   contain more than one certificate or CRL object (while PEM can contain
   several concatenated PEM objects) X509_load_cert_crl_file with
   FILETYPE_ASN1 is equivalent to X509_load_cert_file.

The functions described there are also used by functions like
X509_LOOKUP_load_file().

Note that this may change going forward, as OSSL_STORE is gradually
entering the scene, and does provide a bit better flexibility in this
regard.
(We have recently added an X509_LOOKUP variant that uses OSSL_STORE
for its object retrieval, see the section 'OSSL_STORE Method' in
doc/man3/X509_LOOKUP_hash_dir.pod in recent OpenSSL source, such as
the alpha releases)

Cheers,
Richard

--