Re: OpenSSL version 3.0.0-alpha1 published

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:27 PM Richard Levitte <levitte@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, running from the DESTDIR "installation" gets you into trouble.
> DESTDIR is intended to be a staging directory, i.e. a place to put

Fair enough, I don't have to use DESTDIR, I configure with openssldir
and prefix set to a sandbox now.

We statically link openssl to get a self-contained binary. I'm not
sure if --no-shared was sufficient to "build in" the legacy algs.

Provider load failed, reasonably expectedly, but whether our test
suite is failing because of missing legacy won't be clear to me until
more of the superficial failures are fixed.

Is there a reason two terms, "modules" and "providers", are both used?
Are there modules that are NOT providers? It is confusing to use
different names to describe the same thing, so if modules are
providers, perhaps one name could be used consistently.