Explicit thread cleanup in OpenSSL 1.1.1 possible?

Hi,

with OpenSSL 1.1.1 it is possible to turn off the automatic cleanup with an atexit() handler by passing the flag OPENSSL_INIT_NO_ATEXIT to OPENSSL_init_crypto().

Is it possible to configure this also at the thread level, so that no automatic thread cleanup occurs, with the option to do an explicit per-thread cleanup? I looked at documentation and source code of OpenSSL 1.1.1 and this seems not to be possible, but I wanted to ask nevertheless.

Background: We are embedding OpenSSL in a Java JNI library, and one particular JVM (IBM J9 on z/OS) loads our Java class and the JNI library in a dedicated thread. At the end of the program the JVM then unloads the the Java class and the JNI library before the thread terminates, and when the OpenSSL thread cleanup functions are called the JVM crashes because the shared library is gone from the address space. This happens because the pinning of the OpenSSL shared library does not work on z/OS.

--
Stephan