Re: Remove All Software Generators

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 6:20 PM Frederick Gotham <cauldwell.thomas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dmitry Belyavsky <beldmit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote

>> /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf
>
> Yes, or any custom.
> But the engine must provide the RAND_METHOD and set it as default.

But if my TPM2 engine fails to load, then OpenSSL will just use the
'rdrand' engine.

So my defense agains this is to rebuild OpenSSL with the flag
OPENSSL_NO_RDRAND.

It means that you've disabled the RDRAND engine.

After I rebuild OpenSSL, I can then remove my TPM2 engine so that there's
no engine at all.

I tried running OpenSSL at my commandline just now, and here's what I got:

~# openssl
OpenSSL> engine
(dynamic) Dynamic engine loading support
OpenSSL> rand -hex 10
f49ca711e3056cf9064a
OpenSSL>

Where is it it getting that random data from ? ? ? There's no engine and
yet it can still get a random number! I even tried deleting /dev/random and
/dev/urandom, but it somehow is still getting random data from somewhere!
But where?

You still have the OpenSSL built-in RNG.

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky