Re: Self signed cert authorization

On 24/04/2019 21:58, Phillip Susi wrote:
I've been trying to convince git send-email to connect to my personal
smtp server without success.  It keeps complaining that the cert is
self-signed.  I thought all I had to do was add the cert to
/etc/ssl/certs and that should fix it, but it doesn't.  Even without
doing this, and using -verify_return_error, openssl s_client does not
refuse to connect to the server.  Why is this and what else do I have to
do to convince the system that this self signed cert is OK?

Three suggestions, depending on what git send-email and your system
does:

1. If you are on a somewhat recent Debian (or similar) system, move
  your cert from /etc/ssl/certs/ to /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/
  and rerun
  # dpkg-reconfigure ca-certificates
  # dpkg-reconfigure ca-certificates
  (Yes, run it twice, it has a bug if run only once).
  (This does the next two suggestions in the way the system expects,
  even though the list of certificates shown by the configuration
  dialogs doesn't include your own certificates).

2. cd to /etc/ssl/certs and run the command
  /etc/sssl/certs# c_rehash
  (This updates the numeric symlinks to certificates so openssl can
  more easily find them).

3. If your system generates/maintains a big file with all the
  trusted certs concatenated, concatenate your extra cert to the
  end of that file.

Enjoy

Jakob