Re: SSL_CTX_set_cert_verify_callback and certificate access

On 1/10/2019 10:55 AM, Corey Minyard wrote:
It is unusual, perhaps, but I'm trying to implement something like ssh does.  I can't expect users of ser2net to obtain certificates from a real certificate authority, that's too high a barrier for entry.  I want them to be able to generate a key pair, put the public key on the server in their account, and authenticate against that.

Nobody said you needed a real certificate authority.  You need a *trusted* certificate authority.

You could put the user's self-signed certificate into their account as a trusted CA.

However... it seems like you're reinventing ssh.  Your replacement for ssh will likely require a custom client, which will be a pain in the neck for your users.  Maybe you should start with an existing ssh library and hack it until it behaves the way you need.

--
Jordan Brown, Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance, Oracle Solaris