Re: X25519 - why openssl shows server temp key as 253 bits?

On 04/09/2018 15:43, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
And I seem to recall that one bit is for compact representation. That is, is y positive or negative.  With p256, you have to transmit x and y or deal with the compact representation patent.

Not sure if this applies do X25519 and Ed255 which use different
techniques than the traditional curves.

Those two are also intended to avoid data-dependent if() statements
(because of side channel attacks), but remain vulnerable on CPUs
where division or multiplication instructions have data-dependent
time and/or power consumption (which is unfortunately most of the
common ones).