Re: OpenSSL version 1.1.1 pre release 9 published

On 08/27/2018 04:55 PM, Benjamin Kaduk via openssl-users wrote:
On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 04:38:24PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

On 08/27/2018 04:07 PM, Hubert Kario wrote:
On Monday, 27 August 2018 20:57:53 CEST Robert Moskowitz wrote:
On 08/27/2018 02:33 PM, Hubert Kario wrote:
On Thursday, 23 August 2018 16:35:01 CEST Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Over the years and in protocol design development, I have heard too many
we can't.  So I set about with, "here is one way."  Since then I have
had a few people actually thank me for making it possible for them to
build an ecdsa pki for their product testing needs.  Just one justifies
my effort.
well, I see nothing wrong with providing documentation and how-to's, I just
don't see that it should be elevated to an Internet Draft level...
Well, see https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wkumari-not-a-draft/ .

Warren is a riot.  I really should have put in a typo comment to him about 'safely razor' which probably should be 'safety razor'.  But then kind of knowing Warren, this could have been intentional so I left it alone. :)

by its very nature it needs to be constantly updated, so having it in a static
RFC is contrary to that
that is the value of Internet Drafts that many of us IETFers have figured
out.  draft versions can just keep on going and the tools will take you to
the current draft.  IDs have become neat working documents, though there is
more github work coming along.  More workgroups are doing requirements docs
that will never be published as RFCs; they will stay as IDs.  Much better
source of why did the wg do? than plow through the old mailing list
archives.  The IESG is actually encouraging such a use of IDs.
Yup!  Internet-Draft is a fine terminus for some types of document.
Many TLS registries now have a registration policy that explicitly calls out
an internet-draft that is never published as anything else, as a valid specification
for getting a codepoint assignment.

-Ben