TLS-Session

Hello,

I have deployed 3 VMs in my host (linux) pc.1 ubuntu Desktop and 2 ubuntu Servers. I am using ovs-dpdk(openvswitch-dpdk) in order to create a bridge and make the VMs speak to each other.

The test-⁠case is this:

VM1 : using openssl as a client to connect to an apache2 server hosted in VM3 VM2 : Dpdk application working as a L2 Switch that does DPI(Deep packet inspection) in the packet and check if there is a server name indication with a specific forbidden SNI .If yes it block the TLS session by replying with a TLS fatal(2) alert packet with Description Unrecognized_name (112).According to RFC this shall block the TLS session.

VM3:Just an apache2 Server

When i test this i am connecting from VM1 with this command
openssl s_client -connect www.example.com:443 -servername www.example.com (where "www.example.com" is the forbidden name of the dpdk application).

So my dpdk application is responding with the correct TLS alert and it actually block the TLS session.I have seen the correct packet in wireshark as well.I am also putting a picture with this mail in order to see the process.

The problem is that VM1 using openssl takes 2 to 3 seconds to end the TLS session.Also i am getting some retransmits of client hello in wireshark.

So my question is if anyone can confirm that this is a problem of openssl or if not maybe something else. In addition if anyone know how much time does TLS session takes to actually end?

I wanna know if that 2-⁠3 seconds delay is normal or not from openssl perspective, or there is some problem with my dpdk application.

Thanks for your time,

Konstantinos Schoinas