Should I stop using locking callbacks in OpenSSL 1.1.0x ?

Hi all,

I'm trying to migrate some application code from OpenSSL 1.0.1e to 1.1.0g. I keep seeing that the locking and threading callbacks I had used earlier (with CRYPTO_set_locking_callback and CRYPTO_set_id_callback respectively) now show up as "unused" during compilation.

I checked https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2017/02/21/threads/ and it seems like OpenSSL is trying to ditch callbacks and use more native facilities. In 1.1.0g's crypto.h, CRYPTO_set_locking_callback is defined as a no-op, with the following comment:

/*
 * The old locking functions have been removed completely without compatibility
 * macros. This is because the old functions either could not properly report
 * errors, or the returned error values were not clearly documented.
 * Replacing the locking functions with with no-ops would cause race condition
 * issues in the affected applications. It is far better for them to fail at
 * compile time.
 * On the other hand, the locking callbacks are no longer used.  Consequently,
 * the callback management functions can be safely replaced with no-op macros.
 */

Does this mean I can safely remove all usages of the above functions from my application code? I'd appreciate if someone could explain the above comment in a little more detail or confirm what I'm saying. Or has anyone else been in the same situation?

Thanks,
Pratyush